You are here

Complaints and Enquiries

IRO is taking steps to maintain our services during the COVID-19 pandemic.

System limitations mean it is more difficult for IRO staff to receive telephone calls when working away from our office. 

Injured persons

If you are an injured person and you have a complaint or enquiry about your workers compensation insurer, the best way to contact us is through our online form.  

If you are an injured person and you have a complaint about your CTP insurer, the best was to contact us is through our online form.

If you are unable to complete the form, you can also email us at

If you are unable to email us or complete our online form, you can leave a message on our contact number 139 IRO/139 476.  We will respond to your enquiry within 2 business days.

When do I contact IRO?

You can contact IRO if you have a complaint about an insurer that affects your entitlements, rights or obligations under NSW workers’ compensation legislation or the NSW motor accidents compensation legislation.

This includes complaints about weekly benefits, medical treatment, denials of liability and delays in determining claims.

IRO helps injured persons resolve disputes with insurers by contacting the insurer directly. We can identify issues that are able to be resolved before they escalate and the worker requires legal representation.

This means the cost and delay of taking the claim through a formal process may be avoided and workers receive entitlements sooner.

We can also provide general advice about entitlements and insurers’ obligations as well as general information about the workers compensation scheme and any changes to it.

If you would like general advice about motor accidents compensation, CTP Assist – which is run by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) – provides information and support. They can assist you with enquiries about finding the correct insurer, lodging a claim, accessing injury recovery information and online resources, or accessing legal services and local community services. They can be contacted on 1300 656 919 or 

What information does IRO need?

Please note that IRO does not field anon​ymous complaints and enquiries.

To deal with your issue promptly please provide:

  • your claim number
  • your contact details
  • detailed information about your concerns about how the insurer is handling your claim
  • any steps you have taken to raise your concerns with the insurer.

How our service works

IRO investigates complaints fairly by listening to both sides of the story and reviewing the facts and circumstances.

In most cases, we will solve the issue through negotiation or simply clearing up confusion with the interpretation of the legislation.

For further details about the processes IRO employs to deal with complaints, please see our Complaint Handling Protocol.